• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
  • Home
  • World
  • Diplomatic
  • Sports
    • Cricket
  • National
  • Business
  • Crime & Justice
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Environment
    • CPEC
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • Diplomatic
  • Sports
    • Cricket
  • National
  • Business
  • Crime & Justice
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Environment
    • CPEC
No Result
View All Result
No Result
View All Result
Home World

Funeral prayers offered for Iran’s former supreme leader Ali Khamenei in Tehran amid massive public turnout

by Sub News
July 5, 2026
Funeral prayers offered for Iran’s former supreme leader Ali Khamenei in Tehran amid massive public turnout
Share on WhatAppShare on XShare on Facebook

Tehran, July 5,2026: Funeral prayers for Iran’s former supreme leader Ali Khamenei and four of his family members were offered in Tehran on Sunday, the second day of ceremonies that drew huge crowds of mourners to the Iranian capital.

Khamenei, who led the Islamic republic from 1989 until his death at the age of 86, was killed in an airstrike on the opening day of the US-Israeli war with Iran on February 28.

The funeral prayers were held at Tehran’s Grand Mosalla complex and led by prominent cleric Jafar Sobhani, a senior scholar based in the holy city of Qom.

Khamenei’s son and designated successor, Mojtaba Khamenei, who was reportedly wounded in the February 28 attack, did not appear at the ceremony. His absence marked his first major public no-show since being named supreme leader. However, Khamenei’s other sons — Masoud, Mostafa and Meysam — were present at the funeral prayers.

Iran had declared Sunday a public holiday to facilitate public participation in the ceremonies. Later in the day, Khamenei’s body was expected to be moved from the Grand Mosalla complex, where it had been lying in state, ahead of a major funeral procession through Tehran on Monday.

AFP journalists reported that the sprawling religious complex and surrounding roads were packed with mourners from early morning, many carrying Iranian flags and portraits of Khamenei. With temperatures rising above 35°C, volunteers distributed refreshments to attendees as they made their way to the venue.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian attended the ceremony alongside senior officials, including parliament speaker and chief negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, according to state television footage.

Khamenei’s coffin, draped in the Iranian flag and topped with his trademark black turban, was placed alongside the coffins of four relatives who were also killed in the February strikes, including an infant granddaughter.

Iranian authorities have said they expect more than 10 million people to participate in the funeral ceremonies in Tehran, making it one of the largest public gatherings in the country’s recent history.

Funeral seen as test of public support

The funeral is also being closely watched outside Iran as a test of public support for the government after months of unrest and the devastating war with the United States and Israel.

Following five weeks of hostilities, the conflict is currently on hold under a ceasefire and an initial accord with Washington, although both sides have warned they are prepared to resume fighting if necessary.

Speaking on Saturday, President Pezeshkian said the public turnout and emotional scenes at the funeral reflected Khamenei’s standing among Iranians and supporters abroad.

“What is observed today in the emotions, tears and passionate presence of the people in various scenes is the clearest sign of his place among the Iranian nation and the free people of the world,” he said, while also accusing Israel of acting as a destabilising force in the Middle East.

Delegations from Iran’s regional allies were also present in Tehran. According to Iranian state media, representatives of Hamas, Hezbollah, the Houthis and Palestinian Islamic Jihad attended the funeral ceremonies and met Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi.

According to the announced schedule, Khamenei’s coffin will be taken through Tehran in a public procession on Monday before being moved to Qom on Tuesday and then to neighbouring Iraq on Wednesday. He is due to be buried on Thursday in his hometown of Mashhad in northeastern Iran.

Authorities have imposed extensive security arrangements in the capital and warned mourners about the risk of overcrowding and possible stampedes during the ceremonies. Organisers have also taken measures to deal with the ongoing heatwave, including misting crowds with water at the Grand Mosalla complex to help people cope with temperatures expected to approach 40°C in the coming days.

Tags: Ayatollah Ali KhameneiFamily of Supreme LeaderGrand MosallahamasHezbollahhuge gatheringIranIran’s former supreme leaderIranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi.Islamic JihadLebanonMashhadPalestineQomTehranthe HouthisUnited StatesUS-Israel strikes
Previous Post

Minority Forum Pakistan delegation meets Isphanyar Bhandara

Next Post

President Zardari to visit Kyrgyzstan from July 6–9 on first presidential trip in 21 years

Related Posts

Iran vows to back armed forces as tensions with US deepen, NATO warns of wider threat
World

Iran vows to back armed forces as tensions with US deepen, NATO warns of wider threat

Tehran, August 19, 2026: Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian on Wednesday pledged full government support for the country’s armed forces as...

by Sub News
August 19, 2026
Dear all, please join for the cake cutting for the birthdays of colleagues by 4:30
World

Trump says preventing Iran from obtaining nuclear weapon remains top priority

Washington, August 17, 2026: US President Donald Trump has reiterated that preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon remains his...

by Sub News
August 17, 2026
Algeria welcomes final batch of diaspora children and youth for 2026 summer camps
World

Algeria welcomes final batch of diaspora children and youth for 2026 summer camps

Algiers, August 17,2026: Algeria on Sunday received the third and final batch of children and young people from its national...

by Sub News
August 17, 2026
Iran warns US against claiming Strait of Hormuz, vows to defend control
World

Iran warns US against claiming Strait of Hormuz, vows to defend control

Tehran, August 16, 2026: Iran’s Army Chief Major General Amir Hatami has warned the United States against any attempt to...

by Sub News
August 16, 2026
Next Post
President Zardari to visit Kyrgyzstan from July 6–9 on first presidential trip in 21 years

President Zardari to visit Kyrgyzstan from July 6–9 on first presidential trip in 21 years

Breaking News

  • Pakistan, Brazil reaffirm commitment to dialogue and stronger bilateral ties
  • ICC rescinds demerit point against Gaddafi Stadium after pitch appeal
  • Cox, Root fifties put England in control before Pakistan strike twice at Headingley
  • ECP agrees in principle to Punjab local government polls from December 15
  • PM Shehbaz invites opposition to meaningful dialogue, says government ready for talks
Sub News

© 2026 subnewsenglish.com

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • Diplomatic
  • Sports
    • Cricket
  • National
  • Business
  • Crime & Justice
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Environment
    • CPEC

© 2026 subnewsenglish.com

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.