Washington, August 17, 2026: US President Donald Trump has welcomed the recent signing of the Makkah Joint Defence Agreement between Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Türkiye, describing the pact as a “big, bold, important first step” towards greater regional security cooperation.
In a post on his Truth Social platform, Trump said he was “very happy” to see Saudi Arabia, Türkiye and Pakistan had “finally” signed the agreement.
“It shows how the Middle East is coming together, and how Countries will finally be able to defend themselves in a more meaningful way,” he said.
Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif welcomed Trump’s remarks, saying he “deeply appreciated” the US president’s “kind words of support” for the agreement.
“Together, with the brotherly Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the Republic of Turkiye, Pakistan will continue to play a constructive role in ensuring the defence of our own countries as well as the entire region,” the prime minister said.
In an apparent reference to last year’s brief military confrontation between Pakistan and India, Shehbaz also praised Trump for what he described as his “courageous and decisive leadership”, saying it helped avert a nuclear catastrophe in South Asia and saved millions of lives.
“Durable peace is the most essential prerequisite for a bright and prosperous future for our peoples,” he added.
The tripartite defence agreement was signed in Makkah on August 7 amid heightened tensions and conflict in the region. It seeks to strengthen collective deterrence and provides that an armed attack against any one of the signatories would be treated as an attack against all three.
Türkiye’s Defence Ministry has said the three countries will establish political and military mechanisms under the agreement, while also deepening cooperation in the defence industry.
Pakistan has repeatedly stressed that the agreement is defensive in nature. Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar has also said the pact remains open to other countries in the region that are willing to uphold its fundamental principles.
Pact may expand beyond three countries
Türkiye has signalled that the agreement could eventually expand beyond its three founding members.
Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan recently said Türkiye expected Egypt to join the pact at a later stage, noting that only a few technical issues remained. Egypt, however, has not publicly commented on the proposal.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has also said the vision behind the agreement was not restricted to Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Türkiye.
“Our vision for it is not limited to the three countries,” Erdogan said, expressing hope that conditions could eventually allow countries across the region to come under its umbrella.
Kuwait, Bahrain and Somalia are among the countries that have welcomed the agreement, while Iran has also responded positively, reiterating its support for regional security mechanisms based on cooperation among countries of the region.
The agreement has consequently emerged as a potentially significant new framework for regional defence cooperation, with its proponents portraying it as a mechanism aimed at strengthening collective security and strategic self-reliance.





