Karachi, August 23, 2026: The Sindh cabinet has decided to request the Sindh High Court chief justice to constitute a judicial commission to conduct an impartial and transparent inquiry into the death of young businessman Mir Raza Ali, whose body was found in Karachi’s Gulistan-e-Jauhar last month.
A spokesperson for Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah said the chief minister had received a letter from Ali’s family and considered the concerns raised in it “with compassion and the utmost seriousness”.
“After carefully considering the concerns expressed by the family, the government of Sindh has decided to request the honourable Chief Justice of the Sindh High Court to establish a Judicial Commission to conduct an impartial and transparent inquiry,” the spokesperson said.
Ali, an IBA graduate and businessman, went missing on July 28 and was found dead in Gulistan-e-Jauhar the following day. His father has consistently maintained that his son was murdered and rejected suggestions that the death was a case of suicide.
According to the chief minister’s spokesperson, the proposed commission will examine whether the investigation has been conducted fairly and in accordance with the law and determine whether any investigative leads or evidence require further examination.
The commission will also investigate whether any police officer, medico-legal officer or other public official was involved in negligence, dereliction of duty, professional misconduct, suppression or manipulation of evidence, or any unlawful act, omission or cover-up.
It may recommend further investigation, forensic analysis and appropriate legal or departmental action where necessary.
The commission will exercise powers available under the Sindh Tribunals of Inquiry Ordinance, 1969, including powers similar to those of a civil court to summon witnesses, examine them on oath and require the production of relevant documents and records.
All government departments and agencies have been directed to extend full cooperation to the commission, while the Home Department will provide secretariat support.
The commission will be asked to submit its findings and recommendations to the Sindh government within 30 days of its constitution, unless an extension is considered necessary to ensure a complete and fair inquiry.
The Sindh government expressed hope that the judicial inquiry would address the family’s concerns, establish accountability wherever warranted and strengthen public confidence in the rule of law.
However, Ali’s family has opposed the proposed judicial commission and indicated that it would challenge the decision before the Sindh High Court.
Speaking to media, family lawyer Jibran Nasir said the family would approach the high court on Monday morning against the formation of the judicial commission.
Nasir said he had previously written to the Sindh chief minister regarding concerns over the investigation and reiterated the family’s demand for the formation of a joint investigation team (JIT) to probe the circumstances surrounding Ali’s death.
Meanwhile, Sindh police have issued their first formal statement on the case, saying the investigation team was continuing to examine medical reports, available evidence and the work conducted by the previous investigation team.
According to the police spokesperson, certain aspects of the reports require further clarification, for which information has been sought from the relevant institutions.
The police said clarification of points contained in the chemical analysis reports could provide important leads in the investigation.
The investigation, the spokesperson added, was continuing on the basis of technical, digital, forensic and other reliable evidence.





