Muzaffarabad, May 20, 2026: A major development has emerged in the tobacco sector of Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK), triggering concern within political and administrative circles after reports surfaced regarding the alleged facilitation of illegal cigarette manufacturing units in Mirpur.
According to well-placed sources, AJK Prime Minister Faisal Mumtaz Rathore took immediate notice of the allegations and ordered swift action following media reports highlighting the issue.
Sources said the controversial posting of Chaudhry Azhar as Deputy Commissioner Inland Revenue for the Mirpur Circle has reportedly been halted. Chaudhry Azhar, who was recently promoted from Assistant Commissioner to Deputy Commissioner, was allegedly using political influence and powerful connections to secure the key posting. However, after the matter surfaced publicly, the situation reportedly changed dramatically.
Officials familiar with the development claimed that concerns had already been raised in influential quarters over alleged attempts to reactivate illegal cigarette manufacturing units operating in Mirpur. Allegations suggest that Chaudhry Azhar was allegedly facilitating elements seeking to revive the illicit cigarette business network in the region.
Following media coverage, the matter reportedly reached the highest levels in Muzaffarabad, prompting Prime Minister Faisal Mumtaz Rathore to seek detailed reports from relevant authorities and conduct a review of the disputed appointment. Sources said the prime minister is treating the matter with utmost seriousness and has made it clear that controversial postings in sensitive sectors will not be tolerated.
The AJK government is also said to be pursuing a strict zero-tolerance policy against illegal cigarette production units across the region. Authorities are reportedly examining the possible involvement of organized networks and influential figures allegedly operating behind the scenes of the illegal tobacco trade. Multiple institutions are said to be coordinating on the matter, with further administrative actions expected in the coming days.
Adding another layer of controversy, sources claimed that the name of AJK Finance Minister Qasim Majeed had also recently surfaced in several media reports alleging facilitation in the reactivation of illegal cigarette units.
Previously, during the tenure of former AJK Prime Minister Chaudhry Anwar-ul-Haq, authorities had launched a major crackdown on illegal cigarette factories. The operation was widely praised across Azad Kashmir and Pakistan for dismantling several illicit manufacturing networks.
After assuming office, Prime Minister Faisal Mumtaz Rathore continued the declared zero-tolerance policy against illegal cigarette factories, directing relevant departments not to compromise under any circumstances.
However, as elections draw closer, reports have once again surfaced regarding the alleged reactivation of illegal cigarette units in Mirpur and Bhimber. Sources said that only weeks ago, after the prime minister expressed displeasure over reports concerning the reopening of certain units, inland revenue authorities conducted an operation against a cigarette manufacturing unit allegedly operating under the cover of a dairy farm in Bhimber.
Ironically, fresh reports now suggest that the same unit may once again be operational.
The latest development has reportedly sent a strong message across government and political circles that Prime Minister Faisal Mumtaz Rathore will not tolerate the reopening of illegal cigarette manufacturing units anywhere in Azad Jammu and Kashmir.





